Limited Editions Club collection
The Limited Editions Club collection contains ephemera related to the Limited Editions Club (founded by George Macy), notably catalogs, monthly newsletters, prospectuses, and membership information. Also included are a letter from John M.K. Davis regarding Limited Editions Club while it was in Avon, Connecticut, as well as typescript accounts of Limited Editions Club by Gordon Carroll, David M. Glixon, and Pamela Petro.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public and must be used in the John M.K. Davis Reading Room of the Watkinson Library, Trinity College Library, Hartford, Connecticut. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws when using this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital surrogates may be provided to researchers, in accordance with the duplication policy of the Watkinson Library.
Copyright resides with the creators of the documents or their heirs unless otherwise specified. It is the researcher's responsibility to secure permission to publish materials from the appropriate copyright holder.
Archival materials may contain sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal and/or state right to privacy laws or other regulations. While we make a good faith effort to identify and remove such materials, some may be missed during processing. If a researcher finds sensitive personal information (e.g. social security numbers) in a collection, please bring it to the attention of the reading room staff.
Biographical / Historical
Founded by publisher George Macy in 1929, The Limited Editions Club published limited runs of up to 1,500 numbered and signed copies of mostly classic literary works for a small group of subscribers. The books were printed on fine paper by top publishing houses and illustrated by noteworthy artists of the time, including Matisse and Picasso. Upon his death in 1956, Macy’s wife took over the company until 1968, at which time Macy’s son continued operations. The company was sold to Boise-Cascade in 1970 (along with The Heritage Club, which Macy founded in 1937 to produce less expensive versions of the classics). In 1974, the number of allowed subscribers was increased to 2,000. Still, the financial viability of the Club deteriorated during the 1970s, until it was sold again in 1979 to Sidney Shiff. Shiff focused on raising standards and producing excellently crafted, high quality contemporary works, illustrated by artists of note. The Limited Editions Club published its last work in 2012.
.54 Cubic Feet (1 flat box with 4 file folders of mixed materials and 1 flat box with 7 file folders of mixed materials) ; 1 flat box (15.25"L x 10.25"W x 3"H) equals .27 cubic feet (as defined by UNLV Archives Calculator)
Language of Materials
Collection is arranged by material type. There are six series.
Series 1: Booksellers Catalogues Series 2: Club Histories Series 3: Membership information Series 4: The Monthly Letter Series 5: Checklists and Prospectuses Series 6: Heritage Club
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated by John M.K. Davis and Ethel Davis.
- Guide to the Limited Editions Club collection
- Amy FitzGerald, using a Microsoft-Word finding aid originally prepared for electronic publication in 1999.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Watkinson Library - Archival Collections Repository
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford Connecticut 06106